1. PRESENT STRENGTH OF THE TEACHING AND NON-TEACHING STAFF:
TEACHING STAFF OF THE DEPARTMENT:
|Sri. Pushpajyoti Mahanta
HOD, Associate Professor
|Sri Debabrata Sharma
|Dr. Arunima Sarma
|Ms. Navamallika Gogoi
NON-TEACHING STAFF OF THE DEPARTMENT:
|Md. Jonab Ali
|Sri Madhab Bora
2. FACILITIES AND ASSETS OF THE DEPARTMENT:
a. Department of chemistry recognized by Gauhati University as a research laboratory from 2012.
b. One of the faculty, Dr. Arunima Sarma recognized PhD. Guide from Gauhati University.
c. Two Research Scholars Ms. Smita Baruah and Ms. Navamallika Gogoi has doing PhD. work under supervision of Arunima Sarma.
d. Both of the Research Scholars completed their final registration on middle of July 2015.
e. Dr. Arunima Sarma won the Neem Mission Award 2005 for developing absorbents from Neem leaves for removal of toxic metals from water.
f. Dr. Arunima Sarma obtained a Indian Patent on use of Neem Leaf Powder asan absorbent( Patent Number 201371).
3. EXCURSION/FIELD WORK FOR STUDENTS:
Field Work: It is compulsory for 2nd and 4th Semester B.Sc. Chemistry students in every session in Environmental Studies.
4. STUDENTS ENROLLMENTS:
|For the Year||1st Year||2nd Year||3rd Year|
|August 2010-June 2011||7||62||07||60||02||07|
|August 2011-June 2012||13||64||02||60||07||06|
|August 2012-June 2013||14||92||07||89||05||08|
|August 2013-June 2014||14||105||07||102||05||08|
|August 2014-June 2015||11||96||05||92||06||07|
|August 2015-June 2016||20||140||07||108||Nil||10|
6. JOURNALS SUBSCRIBE FOR THE DEPARTMENT: Nil
6. MAJOR EQUIPMENTS OF THE DEPARTMENT:
|Sl. No.||Name of the Equipments||No. of Equipments||Source|
|1||UV- Visible spectrophotometer (Beckmann Coulter)||1||DST-FIST, New Delhi|
|2||Digital Flame Photometer||1||DST-FIST, New Delhi|
|3||BOD||1||DST-FIST, New Delhi|
|4||Hot Air Oven||1||DST-FIST, New Delhi|
|5||Refrigerator||1+1=2||College, DST-FIST, New Delhi|
|6||Electronic Balance||1+2=3||UGC major research project, DST-FIST, New Delhi|
|7||Thermostatic shaker machine||1+1=2||UGC major research project, UGC North-east region Office, Guwahati|
|8||Shaker machine||1||DRDO, major research project|
|9||LCD projector with laptop||1||DST-FIST, New Delhi|
|10||Digital Conductometer||1||DST-FIST, New Delhi|
|12||Digital pH Meter||2||DST-FIST, New Delhi|
|13||High Speed Centrifuge||1||DST-FIST, New Delhi|
|14||Double Distilled Water Purification Tank||1+1=2||College, DST-FIST, New Delhi|
|15||Biquartz Polarimeter with tungeston filament lamp||1||College|
|16||Molecular weight determination apparatus (Victor Meyer’s)||1||College|
|19||Digital Melting Point Determination Apparatus||1||College|
|20||Chromatograph Developed Chamber||1||College|
|21||Column Chromatography equipments sets9 Soxlet, rotary evaporator, Vacuum pump (etc.)||1||UGC North-east region Office, Guwahati|
|26||Micro Pipette and other accessories|
|27||Online UPS (5 kV)||1||College|
|28||PC with UPS, Printer, Scanner and other Accessories||1||DST-FIST|
7. TOTAL STRENGTH OF DEPARTMENTAL LIBRARY: Nil.
9. REMEDIAL COURSES CONDUCTED BY THE DEPARTMENT: Nil
10. TOTAL PLINTH AREA OF THE DEPARTMENT:
|1||Degree Major Laboratory||7.3 m x 5.8 m|
|2||Degree General Laboratory||9.8 m x 7.3 m|
|3||One Research Laboratory||12.2 m x 2.6 m|
|4||Preparation Room, Balance Room, Distilled Water plane||9.5 m x 4.2 m|
|5||One Major Equipments Room||5 m x 12 m|
|6||One Store Room||3 m x 12 m|
|7||Open Space||5m x 2.4 m|
|8||Teachers Common Room||7.3 m x 3.7 m|
11. CLASSROOM/LABORATORIES IN THE DEPARTMENT:
|Sl. No.||Class Room/ Laboratory in the Department||No. Of Rooms|
|1||Teacher Common Room||01|
|2||Major Class Room||01|
14. NATIONAL SEMINAR/ CONFERENCE CONDUCTED BY THE DEPARTMENT:
National Conference on Hydrology and Water Quality Management. Sep 20-22, 2012, Morigaon College, Morigaon, Assam.
15. AVERAGE TIME SPENT BY TEACHER WITH STUDENTS/DAY:
At least Six to Seven hours per day a teacher spent time with the students.
16. EXTRA-CURRICULUM ACTIVITIES OF THE FACULTY MEMBERS:
|Sl. No.||Name of the Teacher||Extra –Curricular Activities|
Sri PJ Mahanta
1. President of Innovation foundation of Morigaon (TRUST) since 2010. The foundation is doing social activities like education awareness about ground water, ozone layer deletion etc.
2. Secretary of Indian Peoples Theatre Association (IPTA) Morigaon District and Joint secretary IPTA, Assam. District committee organized annually two days workshop on Bhupendra Songeet.
3. Life member of a NGO (Bishitra Jona Unnayan) since 1998. This organization doing activities like donation books to poor student and brilliant students yearly last 17 years.
Dr. Arunima Sarma
1. Popularization program conducting organizing national seminar as a coordinator.
2. Guest lecture delivered locally and state level organized by Central Ground Water Board, North Eastern Region.
Ms. Navamallika Gogoi
1. Research work done in department of Chemistry lab (Morigaon College).
18. DEPARTMENTAL PUBLICATION:
Publication of the department in national journals/ international journals/ books/ proceedings/ referred journals with ISSN/ISBN:
a. List of Books:
1. Arunima Sarma, Krishna G Bhattacharyya. Biosorbent from Neem (Azadirachta indica) leaves. 441 pages. Lambert Academic Publishing, Heinrich-Bocking-Str. 6-8, 66121, Saarbruken, Deutschland/Germany. ISBN 978-3-659-41717-7.
2. Arunima Sarma, Krishna G Bhattacharyya Comprehensive Environmental Studies. 634 pages, First edition 2015. International edition Alpha Science International Limited, 7200 The Quorum, Oxford Business Park, North Garsington Road, Oxford OX4 2JZ, UK. ISBN 978-1-84265-877-2.
3. Arunima Sarma, Krishna G Bhattacharyya Comprehensive Environmental Studies. 634 pages, First edition 2015. Indian edition published by Narosa Publishing House Pvt. Ltd.,22 Delhi Medical Association Road, Daryaganj, New Delhi 110 002. 2015. ISBN 978-81-8487-345-0.
4. Bhattacharyya Krishna G and Sharma Arunima, A new role of the Neem Tree in greening the environment: removal of colour from effluents, in Chemistry for Green Environment (ed. M M Srivastava and Rashmi Sanghi), Narosa Publishing House, New Delhi 2005, pp. 257 – 276.
5. Arunima Sarma Edited Book.Hydrology and Water Quality Management. 376 pages. Published in 2013. Morigaon College, Morigaon.2013. ISBN 978-81-927242-0-1.
6. Arunima Sarma Edited Book. Anthropogenic Threats to Biodiversity.Volume 1. Morigaon College, Morigaon.2015. 978-81-927242-1-8.
b. List of publications in National/ International Journals:
1. Bhattacharyya Krishna G and Sarma Arunima, Adsorption characteristics of the dye, Brilliant Green, on Neem Leaf Powder. Dyes and Pigments, 57 (2003) 211 – 222 (Elsevier).
2. Bhattacharyya Krishna G and Sarma Arunima, Azadirachta Indica leaf powder as an effective biosorbent for dyes: a case study with aqueous Congo Red solutions. J. Environ. Management, 71, 217-229, 2004 (Elsevier).
3. Bhattacharyya Krishna G and Sarma Arunima, Adsorption of Pb(II) from aqueous solution by Azadirachta Indica (Neem) leaf powder. J. Hazardous Materials, 113 (1-3), 97-109, 2004 (Elsevier). Sharma Arunima and Bhattacharyya Krishna G, Adsorption of Chromium (VI) on Azadirachta indica (Neem) leaf powder, Adsorption, 10, 327 -338, 2004 (Kluwer Academic).
4. Bhattacharyya Krishna G and Sharma Arunima, Absorption of Chromium(VI) on Azadirachta indica (Neem) leaf powder, Absorption, 10, 327-338, 2004( Kluwer Academic).
5. Bhattacharyya Krishna G and Sharma Arunima, Kinetics and thermodynamics of Methylene Blue adsorption on Neem (Azadirachta indica) leaf powder, Dyes and Pigments, 65(1), 51-59, 2005 (Elsevier).
6. Sharma Arunima and Bhattacharyya Krishna G, Utilization of a biosorbent based on Azadirachta indica (Neem) leaves for removal of water soluble dyes, Indian J Chemical Technology 12, 285 – 295, 2005.
7. Sharma Arunima and Bhattacharyya Krishna G, Azadirachta indica (Neem) leaf powder as a biosorbent for removal of Cd(II) from aqueous medium, J Hazardous Materials 125, 100 – 110, 2005 (Elsevier).
8. Krishna G Bhattacharyya, Jyotirekha Sarma and Arunima Sarma, Biosorption of commercial dyes on Azadirachta indica leaf powder: A case study with a basic dye Rhodamine B. Ind. Eng. Chem. Res. 2008, 47, 5433–5440.
9. Krishna G. Bhattacharyya, Jyotirekha Sarma, Arunima Sarma Azadirachta indica leaf powder as a biosorbent for Ni(II) in aqueous medium. Journal of Hazardous Materials 165 (2009) 271–278.
10. Sarma Arunima and Bhattacharyya Krishna G, Interactions of Pb(II), Cd(II) and Cr(VI) with a biosorbent made from Neem (Azadirachta indica) leaves: Kinetics and Thermodynamics, International J Environment and Pollution 34 (2008) 374 – 399.
11. Krishna G. Bhattacharyya, Jyotirekha Sarma, Arunima Sarma Adsorption of Cu (II) on a cellulosic biosorbent, Azadirachta indica leaf powder: application in water treatment, Journal Adsorption Science and Technology 28 (2010) 869 – 883.
12. Prova Boruah, Arunima Sarma & Krishna G Bhattacharyya. Removal of Ni(II) ions from aqueous solution by using low cost biosorbent prepared from Jackfruit (Artocarpus heterophyllus) leaf powder. Indian Journal of Chemical Technology. Vol. 22, November (2015) 322-327.
13. Arunima Sarma and Krishna G Bhattacharyya. Removal of fluride from spiked water in the batch or static mode and also in the column or dynamic mode. Desalination and Water Treatment (2015) 1-15.
c. List of publications in National/ International Seminars/ Conference:
1. Sarma Arunima and Bhattacharyya Krishna G. Removal of dyes from aqueous solution using Neem Leaf Powder: A case study with Methylene Blue. Proc. International Conference on Industrial Pollution and Control Technologies (ICIPACT2001), 7-10 December 2001, JNTU, Hyderabad. Pp. 342-346.
2. Sarma Arunima and Bhattacharyya Krishna G. Neem Leaves as a possible absorbent for pollutants in aqueous medium-a case study with methylene blue. Indian J. Environ. Protection 21, 899-902, 2001
3. Sarma Arunima and Bhattacharyya Krishna G. Removing Dyes from water with a novel absorbent made from Neem leaves. Proc. Intl. Conf., Hydrology and Watershed Management, JNTU, Hyderabad, 18-20 December 2002, Pp. 322-330
4. Sarma Arunima and Bhattacharyya Krishna G. Removal of hexavalentt chromium from waste water using a low cost absorbent made from Neem Leaves, Proc. XII National Conference on Environment, Tehri- Garowal, June 2003, Pp. 477-484.
5. Sharma Arunima and Bhattacharyya Krishna G, Treatment of artificial Waste Water containing Cd(II) using Neem (Azadirachta indica) leaves, Proceedings of International Conference on Advances in Industrial Wastewater Treatment, Anna University, Chennai, India, 9-11 February 2005, pp. 111 – 120.
6. Sharma Arunima and Bhattacharyya Krishna G,Absorptive interactions of three water soluble organic dyes (Brilliant Green, Congo Red and Methylene Blue) with Azadirachta indica (Neem) leaves, presented and published in the Proceedings of 10th International Conference COLORCHEM04, May 23-27, 2004, Spindleruv Mlyn, Czech Republic.
7. Sarma Arunima and Bhattacharyya Krishna G, A new role for the Neem tree in greening the environment: Removing toxic metal ions (Pb2+, Cd2+, Cr6+) from effluents using Neem leaves, Proceedings of the National Seminar on Pollution in Urban Industrial Environment, RRL, Bhubaneswar, Allied Publishers, New Delhi, 2005, pp. 206-211.
8. Sarma Arunima and Bhattacharyya Krishna G, Characterization of a biosorbent prepared from the leaves of the Neem Tree (Azadirachta Indica), Proceedings of International Conference on Chemistry and Environment, 2005 (Indore, December 22 – 24, 2005), pp. 212 – 216
9. Krishna G. Bhattacharyya, Jyotirekha Sarma, Arunima Sarma .Biosorption of Acid Blue 25 on Azadirachta indica (NEEM) leaf powder. World Environmental and Water Resources Congress 2011: Bearing Knowledge for Sustainability .pp- 3927-3940. ISBN (print): 978-0-7844-1173-5.
10. Krishna G. Bhattacharyya, Arunima Sarma,Prava Baruah. Biosorption of Cd(II), Pb(II) and Ni(II) on Magnifera Indica Leaf Powder : an equilibrium study. pp. 1782-1795. World Environmental and Water Resources Congress 2011: Bearing Knowledge for Sustainability . ISBN (print): 978-0-7844-1173-5.
11. Arunima Sarma Krishna G. Bhattacharyya, Prava Baruah. Sorption Dynamics and Process Development for Removal of Copper from Aqueous Solution using a biosorbent based on Mango tree leaves. Pp. 4453-4468. World Environmental and Water Resources Congress 2011: Bearing Knowledge for Sustainability . ISBN (print): 978-0-7844-1173-5.
12. Arunima Sarma, Krishna G. Bhattacharyya, Prava Baruah .Removal of Cd(II) ions from aqueous solution by using low cost bisorbent prepared from Mango leaf powder; batch and column process. pp. 265-278. Hydrology and Water Quality Management (20 – 22 Sept, 2012, Morigaon College) ISBN(Print): 978-81-927242-0-1
13. Arunima Sarma, Sarangapani Bora. Biosorption of Fluoride onto Azadirachta indica (Neem) leaf powder : equilibrium study ,the effect of some common ions.pp. 299-311. Hydrology and Water Quality Management (20 – 22 Sept, 2012, Morigaon College) ISBN(Print): 978-81-927242-0-1
14. Arunima Sarma, Krishna G. Bhattacharyya, Jyotirekha Sarma. Decolourization of water contaminated with dyes: a case study with three dyes. pp. 344-353. Hydrology and Water Quality Management (20 – 22 Sept, 2012, Morigaon College) ISBN(Print): 978-81-927242-0-1.